Can you spot an American from a mile away?
Like, for example, when I said “a mile away” instead of “kilometer away, that should have been a dead giveaway.
Recently Redditor u/Xark_Oasis asked a question:
“How do you spot an American tourist from a mile away”?
Here are some of the best responses, if you’re secure enough in your American-ness to accept them…
1.”They act so amazed by things that are more than 200 years old, presumably because they don’t have many things that old in the USA.” —u/Dusepo
2. “Asking for the bathroom in a restaurant or public place. Do you need to take a shower? No. What you’re really looking for is the toilet.” —u/isysopi201
3. “They are the first to take their shoes off at airport security…even when there is a sign blatantly saying not to remove your shoes.” —u/alphamone
4.”You can hear them in museums when everyone else is extra silent.” —u/deleted
5. “They’re constantly wearing their college t-shirt, sweater or cap.” —u/deleted
6. “When Americans introduce themselves they never say they’re from the US. They always start with the state or city they are from.” —u/hazily
7. “They always look cheerful and are constantly smiling and seeming happy. Tourists from other places look more neutral or even unhappy.” —u/deleted
8. “They’re always asking for extra ice in their drinks.”—u/deleted
9.”Tipping. Americans will try to tip everyone, even in countries where tipping isn’t a thing and can even be considered insulting.” —u/deleted
10. “They ask for to-go coffee cups. Everyone else in Europe sits and drinks their coffee, but Americans always seem to be in a rush so they take their coffee to go.”—u/deleted
11. “They assume stores stay open late or 24/7, even in European countries where most stores close by 7 pm.” —u/millennium-popsicle
12. “They have impeccable facial hair. Maybe Americans get a trim before they go on holiday, but I’m always impressed by the tidy beards and mustaches.” —u/todayiswedn
13. “The way they dress. For some reason, Americans abroad dress like they’re doing some hardcore exploring in the Amazon…even when they’re just visiting a European city.” —u/jackofharts94
14. “They wear white socks pulled all the way up.” —u/grittypokes