Where were you when Cats-pocalypse happened? On July 18, millions of people around the world were subjected to the horror that is the trailer for the Cats movie. Putting celebrity faces on CGI cat bodies might sound like a good idea in theory, but in practice, it creates something uncanny.
There are some things that can’t be unseen, and the Cats trailer is definitely one of them.
Cats is based on the musical of the same name, which premiered on Broadway in 1982 and played for a record-breaking 18 years. It had a short-lived revival on Broadway in 2016, but now the musical will reach the masses on the big screen. Cats is based on the poetry of T.S. Elliot and features the music of Andrew Lloyd Weber. It tells the story of a group of street cats the night that one of them will be chosen to ascend to the “Heaviside Layer” and be reborn.
The movie is jam-packed with a star-studded list of performers, including James Corden, Jennifer Hudson, Taylor Swift, Ian McKellen, Idris Elba, Judi Dench, Rebel Wilson, and Jason Derulo. Tom Hooper is directing, which makes sense since he does know a thing or two about directing blockbuster musical movie adaptations after bringing Les Miserables to the big screen. But, all the star wattage in the world can’t save Cats from the wrath of fans on Twitter.
There are a lot of things that are quite odd about the humanoid cats in the Cats trailer. People on Twitter are dissecting every detail, from the human breasts on the cats to the fact that many of them wear fur coats on top of their fur bodies. It’s all a lot to take in, but thankfully we have memes to help us come to terms with the strange wonder that is the Cats trailer.
1. Some people are really disturbed by the whole human-faces-on-cat-bodies things.
therapist: judi dench as a cat isn’t real she can’t hurt you
judi dench as a cat: pic.twitter.com/1cLqmS22xO
— raya (@wewritelettrs) July 18, 2019
2. Other CGI-heavy trailers have gotten flack, but that’s nothing compared to how people are tearing Cats apart.
we owe the team behind the sonic the hedgehog movie a huge apology pic.twitter.com/nDG9Y4qXVZ
— David Mack (@davidmackau) July 19, 2019
3. Some people just don’t know what to make of all this.
— Jarett Wieselman (@JarettSays) July 18, 2019
4. Even real-life cats are confused by Cats.
I showed my cat the Cats trailer. pic.twitter.com/tSGVi24Amk
— Janna Layton (@JKBartleby) July 19, 2019
5. In fact, some people think that cats need to work on their public image after this trailer.
every cat should be hiring a publicist right now at this very moment
— hunter harris (@hunteryharris) July 18, 2019
6. Others are just done with cats altogether.
This trailer made me hate my real cat
— Jake Baldino (@JakeBaldino) July 18, 2019
7. A lot of people are freaked out by the cats’ bodies.
somehow the people in Cats look more nude than if they were actually nude, and it's weird as hell. pic.twitter.com/vw8vtsIAUa
— Gavia Baker-Whitelaw (@Hello_Tailor) July 18, 2019
8. The cats’ tails are especially disturbing.
I’ve looked at a lot of cats in my life and I’ve never seen one with a tail coming out of its ass pic.twitter.com/XnskEXjZax
— Guy Lodge (@GuyLodge) July 18, 2019
9. And there’s still some confusion over the cats’ anatomy.
why don't the cats have, like, six boobs
— Molly Priddy (@mollypriddy) July 18, 2019
10. And there’s confusion over how their bodies function.
I want to watch the human-faced cats poop in litter boxes ! I want to see it!
— Lisa Hanawalt (@lisadraws) July 19, 2019
11. People are really freaked out by the CGI.
The cats movie trailer looks like if somebody who just learned what a fursona is tried to direct The Polar Express
— Left at London, musician (female) (@LeftAtLondon) July 19, 2019
12. Like, really freaked out.
The facetuning of these cats
— your dad’s new girlfriend (@nwalks) July 18, 2019
13. Really, really freaked out.
can't believe how demonic the cats trailer looks pic.twitter.com/NMUGMgVinr
— Bim S. Pumpkins Esq. (@bimadew) July 18, 2019
14. Some people think they may have seen the Cats cats before.
why do the cats in the new Cats movie look like bad Medieval cat paintings lmao pic.twitter.com/mIHbJbrIhi
— quoth the RAEven (@PAYOLETTER) July 18, 2019
15. There might be some dark forces at play in the Cats trailer.
The Cats trailer is literally more terrifying than the IT trailer.
— Jesse McLaren (@McJesse) July 18, 2019
16. One cat, in particular, is freaking out some people.
the James Cordon cat is giving me a panic attack pic.twitter.com/snDc9PzwXd
— Ryan Broderick (@broderick) July 18, 2019
17. Although, some people are showing a little empathy for the movie’s director.
Tom Hooper scrolling through Twitter rn pic.twitter.com/dcyeOwm350
— Will Kellogg (@Will_Kellogg) July 18, 2019
18. In fact, some people even enjoyed the trailer.
19. But, of course, the people who liked the Cats trailer are still in the minority.
20. Some people even wish they could go back in time to before they had seen the trailer at all.
— struggs (@fwiqua) July 19, 2019
21. Other people are wondering if it was all just a dream.
did i dream that cats trailer or did it dream _me_ pic.twitter.com/CogpcCmnxw
— Bim S. Pumpkins Esq. (@bimadew) July 19, 2019
22. Some think the trailer doesn’t explain the plot very well.
Just read the plot of Cats on Wikipedia and it is like somebody tried to transcribe a dream seconds after waking up from wisdom tooth surgery.
— Ben Collins (@oneunderscore__) July 18, 2019
23. But other people are here to help explain Cats to the uninformed.
Please stop saying the plot of Cats is confusing. The plot of Cats is that they're cats and they introduce themselves until one of them gets permission to die.
— BOO-is Frightsman (@LouisPeitzman) July 18, 2019
24. For some people, the trailer was a total surprise.
Okay, I didn’t know there was going to be a live action Cats movie and… I was happier before
— Creep-ng Dread (@pronounced_ing) July 18, 2019
25. And a lot of people are wondering how they can go back to before they saw it at all.
just watched the CATS trailer
how do i unwatch the CATS trailer
— JacksEpicEye (@jacksfilms) July 18, 2019
26. Although it’s hard to remember what life was like before the Cats trailer.
I don't remember a time before the Cats trailer
— Sexy Jamie McKelvie (@McKelvie) July 19, 2019
27. Maybe people would have reacted better if the trailer had a different tone.
I put the song from Us onto the Cats trailer and I think it fits better. pic.twitter.com/VMBlbeDQs5
— "Ian" Abramson (@ianabramson) July 18, 2019
28. Some people got exactly what they expected.
I know this will be a controversial tweet, but the Cats trailer is exactly how I imaged a trailer for Cats to be.
— Charlie McDowell (@charliemcdowell) July 19, 2019
29. Others are still upset about what they saw.
— lil (@angelofmusicals) July 19, 2019
30. And then there are people who are just asking the important questions about the cats’ health.
I do have questions about Cats trailer. First, they're all outdoor or indoor/outdoor cats. No strictly indoor cats (preferred). No scenes of catching mice or lizard tails hanging out of mouths, which seems unrealistic. & I'm worried they're all sick–none r grooming themselves.
— Jeff VanderMeer (@jeffvandermeer) July 19, 2019
31. But in the end, maybe everyone’s overreacting.
I don't know why you're all freaking out over miniature yet huge cats with human celebrity faces and sexy breasts performing a demented dream ballet for kids.
— Louis Virtel (@louisvirtel) July 18, 2019
We all better brace ourselves for when the whole movie comes out this Christmas.