The Trolley Problem is one of the most famous thought experiments in philosophy. It poses a moral quandary: If an out-of-control trolley is speeding down the track and about to kill a large number of people would you pull a lever that diverts the trolley to kill a smaller number of people? Is that the only ethical choice? Or is the act of choosing who lives and dies itself amoral?
The problem can of course be tweaked to consider any imaginable number of outcomes while offering the same choice: “Would you kill X to save Y?” Because it’s so malleable it’s a lot like a meme and, unsurprisingly, trolley problem memes exist.
Here are some Trolley problem memes because ethical dilemmas can still be funny.
Enjoy More Trending Memes & News, Or Don’t, Your Choice
- You’ve Got Some Messed Up Friends If You Understand These Memes (19 Barry Wood Memes)
- Twitter Is Debating Which Fruit Of The Loom Logo Is Right, After Man Points Out You’re Probably Remembering It Wrong
- “I Was Today Years Old When I Learned…” (37 Random Facts)
- 13 Hilariously Flawless Responses To Dudes Asking For Nudes
- Just 100 Of The Funniest Coronavirus Memes And Jokes