While award shows always offer up a plethora of comedic moments, they’re also never short on awkwardness. That was certainly the case at the 2019 Emmys, which were held at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles on Sunday night.
There’s always some level of cringe involved in these broadcasts by default—the scripted “jokes” are rarely if ever funny, yet presenters are expected to commit to them 100%. At this year’s ceremony, there were several moments that were almost painful to watch, mostly because the people involved in them were totally unaware of just how awkward they were.
1. This painful moment between Christina Applegate and Giuliana Rancic on the red carpet:
— Ira thee Third (@ira) September 22, 2019
2. Nick Cannon and Ken Jeong doing that weird Tik-Tok sketch:
— Matt Rappaport (@nyactor) September 23, 2019
3. Kim Kardashian and Kendall Jenner getting laughed at for talking about telling “real stories” on Keeping Up with the Kardashians:
— Weslee 🦄 (@WSpark98NZ) September 23, 2019
4. The Family Guy dragging of Roseanne and Bill Cosby:
5. Thomas Lennon making this incredibly inappropriate joke about Craig Austin:
6. Barry losing a lot of awards in a row:
That’s… 3 losses for Barry in only 10 mins #Emmys
— Candice Frederick (@ReelTalker) September 23, 2019
7. Julia Garner’s Emmy statue chocolate metaphor that just didn’t work:
8. Isaac Hempstead Wright—who plays Bran Stark—wasn’t on stage for the Game of Thrones tribute, even though he was there:
— Ria (@BarstoolRia) September 23, 2019